If my father was severely injured in a work place accident due to safty equipment missing off of the machine he was unloading, what are his rights?

We are currently talking to a lawyer but this is only 2 weeks in and he is still under sedation in the hospital. He was the sole income for his house with my stepmother. Since the accident I have stepped in and started covering bills and taking days off work to sit at the hospital. I know my stepmother has a right to sue, but as an adult child of my father, do I have the right to sue the company that caused the injury also?

Asked on April 10, 2015 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, an adult child does not have the right to sue for the injuries to his or her parent; despite being a child, you do not have the sort of legal relationship (spousal; or a dependent minor child, who can sue through his/her guardian in some cases) that allows you to recover for the parent's injuries or for amounts you choose to spend on the parent's behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.