What an I do if my father passed away in another state and the representative of his estate in not being forthcoming with me?

He died 3 month ago. He named my stepsister as representative. She has not given me a copy of the Will and is not being completely honest.

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it stands.  Probate records are public records and you can review them at any time or have a service take a look to see if anything has been filed.  She has a fiduciary duty to you so she must respond.  I might consider paying an attorney on a flat rate basis to send her a letter as to the status and demand a copy of the Will.  There are time constraints involved in probate.  You need to act quickly.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.