My father passed away 5 months ago and a title company sent him a check in a settlement

What should I do with the check I have a letters of administration.

Asked on October 13, 2017 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you are already the Administrator of the Estate then you have half of the battle won at this point.  Go and open an estate account and bring the Letters appointing you from te Probate Court.  Is the check made out to him or "The Estate of"?  Some banks will require it be made to the estate to allow you to endrose it.  So you may have to return it to the title company and ask that it be reissued.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.