If my father left me a Trust when he died and I’m 18 now, since and I am considering pursuing an adult adoption will I retain the rights to my Trust if adopted?

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You definitely need to consider obtaining a legal analysis from an estate planning attorney re the interpretation of the trust provisions versus entering an adult adoption re your right to Trust  disbursements. The trust provisions control the disbursement to you, but may be completely cut off if you enter the adult adoption. Be very careful here, as a legal land mine may be present. Obtain more than one legal opinion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.