If my ex-husband and I signed a custody agreement 6 years ago but he has not seen our daughter since the agreement was finalized, what can I do to get full custody?

The only part of the agreement he does abide by is the section which states he can claim her on his taxes every other year.

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Family Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are two ways to get what you want. The first is by way of a signed stipulation by the "ex" with a court order giving you full custody prepared by a family law attorney or file a petition with the court seeking such. For all intents and puproses, from what you have written, you do have full custody of your minor child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.