What to do if my ex has moved with the kids out of state without notifying or obtaining permission from the court to relocate?

A restraining order was issued to prevent her move but she left before she could be served. What can I do to enforce my visitation rights in accordance with my local custody order?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your "ex" has moved out of state in violation of the restraining order that you have written about, you need to consult with a family law attorney to assist you in getting the matter resolved. Most likely you will need to file a petition with the court for issuance of an order to show cause regarding contempt of a court order and have her served with the notice of the matter through legal counsel.

The court clerk will set a hearing date and the court will then issue and order. If the "ex" fails to appear at the hearing, the court most likely will issue a bench warrant for the "ex's" arrest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.