If my employer did not pay my shift differential the entire time I’ve been there, do I have legal backing to request.payment?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may but the issue will be if you are timed out statutorily from being payed a portion of that (too much time has lapsed).  If this is an issue wherein the department of labor has discovered a violation, you should push for all of your time.  You have absolute legal standing to request payment but I would if I were you go through the Department of Labor if your employer refuses to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.