If my biological father passed away, as his legal heir what are my rights and responsibilities, if any?

Asked on July 18, 2015 under Estate Planning, New Hampshire


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So long as his parental rights were not terminated - voluntarily, involuntarily, though adoption, etc. - then you would inherit under the intestacy statutes.  The law does not reuqire that you actively do anything just because you are related. For specifics as to what is going on in your situation I would seek help and consultation from an attorney in your area.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.