What to do if my underage son was taken out drinking by his boss?

My 19 year old son was working for a company down by Wall Street. His 40 year old boss was taking him drinking every night after work. My son has been in the hospital for 20 days with alcohol poisoning and other mental issues. Can I sue his boss

Asked on November 12, 2014 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot sue the boss. Your son is an adult--maybe still young, but at 19, he is legally an adult. He is responsible for making his own choices as to whether to drink illegally or whether to drink to excess or too frequently; even if his boss "pressured" him or told him that he'd lose his job unless he went out, as an adult, your is expected to still weigh the possible consequences of each course of action (i.e. illegally drinking or drinking too much vs. possible job loss) and then accept the consequences of his actions. The law holds adults liable or responsible for their own choices, even if they did what someone else asked them to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.