What are our rights if my 15 year old inherited a house but can’t take ownership until he is 25?

The Trust states that we could live in the house if we pay the expenses on the house. The trustee has already moved someone in. What can we do?

Asked on June 7, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can take a copy of the trust document and go and see a lawyer as soon as possible.  If the terms of the trust are as you say here then you and your child have priority to occupancy and the Trustee is bordering violating the trust and his or her fiduciary obligations.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.