If I’m moving out-of-state, do I need to keep my interlock deviceonce I get to my new state of residence?

I am moving from AZ, where I got my DUI, to NY. Do I need to keep my interlock in my vehicle even if I have no intentions of moving back to AZ? Or is it possible that DMV will reduce my interlock time from 1 year until 6 months since that is NY’s law?

Asked on March 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may want to consult with your Arizona attorney before you move for many reasons (like issues of probation, etc.) but specifically for this reason as well.  It is most likely that if you maintain your Arizona license the requirement for the interlock will follow you.  In other words, Arizona may not clear your drivers record until all requirements are met. I would also contact the ignition interlock vendor as there may be issues with taking the equipment out of state. And no, you can not venue shop for a reduced sentence.  The courts in New York will uphold the decision and sentencing of the Arizona courts.  Get some advice here.  Good luck on your fresh start.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.