If my mother recently passed away and my brother and I are the survivors, how do we get her bank and her car insurance company to release a CD and CD?

She had no Will. We have 1 CD in bank they say we cannot have no beneficiaries on that, and one insurance refund check we cannot cash dated back 10 days before she died. I had a Durable POA before she passed. I am on disability and we can use the money to pay for funeral costs and future bills she has. But don’t understand what probate is? Can you help us we can’t afford attorney and court fees?

Asked on June 19, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You must have the estate probated.  If the estate value is less than $75,000 you can do a summary administration. Speak with the court clerk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.