If mother-in-law just passed away and she was taking care of her husband who has dementia, what steps to take to take over the finances?

This is so we can continue to pay bills and he does not lose the home. We cannot afford to put him in a home, no Will and no insurance from mother-in-law. He has gambling problems and it does not help with his dementia, he is already asking to go to the bank and take out all of her money. We know he has the right to do that but we are trying to protect him from spending that money elsewhere instead of his bills.

Asked on September 10, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. It is wonderful that you want to be of help and service. You ought to speak with an attorney who is licensed in your home state.  She/he will be happy to assist you with your goals and needs. All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.