misdemeanor crime sponge from twenty year ago

I recently tried to purchase a hand gun and was denied bacause of a a

domestic violence from many years ago. I am trying to see if there is any way i

can get this sponged from record or is that possible to be able to purchase shot

gun for hunting?

Asked on September 10, 2016 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under OH law, most misdemeanor criminal records can be expunged. However, domestic violence misdemeanors in the first degree are not eligible for expungement while domestic violence misdemeanor of the fourth degree are eligible. At this point you will need to obtain a copy of your criminal history record to check. If you are eligible to have your record expunged, you can choose to do it yourself  (they are guidelines for this online) or you can hire a local lawyer to do it for you; many criminal law attorneys specifically handle such cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.