Looking for some type of liability release form?

I was in a small accident and the women is wanting to pay for the damages out of
pocket instead of through her insurance because it will be cheaper. She is
wanting to sign some type of form that states she is no longer liable/responsible
for any damages after she pays. Is there any such form that exist and if not what
would be the best thing to do? I live in Indiana just so that is clear.

Asked on March 29, 2017 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Such forms do exist and are commonly used to settle accidents and lawsuits. The form has to say that in exchange for a certain payment (i.e. what she is offering to pay you), you release her from liability--that way, if she doesn't pay, she has violated her obligations under the form and you can then sue.
If the amount she is paying is an amount you deem fair your damage, costs, losses, etc., at least given the advantage of getting it without having to go to trouble, cost, etc. of suing, then it probably makes sense to agree to this.
You can probably find samples or examples of such forms by "Googling" for them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.