Loaning Money

I am loaning a friend money. How should I go about insuring myself of restitution?

Asked on March 4, 2019 under Business Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You need a written loan agreement which sets forth the terms of the loan: how much was borrowed; when it has to be repaid; the interest rate. Make sure repayments start soon, evern if only in small increments (e.g. $50/month)--that way, you will get early warning if your friend fails to pay. As soon as your friend misses a payment, sue him or her for "breach of contract"--the loan agreement is a contract--for all the money due to you. You can then garnish his/her wages, put a lien on his/her house, or execute on (have the sheriff seize and sell) any vehicles he/she owns, or levy on (take money from) his/her bank account. To facilitate collections if you have to sue, have the friend provide you his/her bank account information (which you'd need to levy on the account), a copy of any car's title and registration, and make sure you know where he/she works.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.