What are my rights if I signed a lease signed for $1000 but now the landlord says that was a mistake and it should have been $1100?

I have a 1 year lease for $1000 a month signed by both myself and the owners. The owners are now trying to get us to sign a new lease for $1100 a month because of their mistake and they say they have grounds because the lease we signed said the terms were beginning this month to run for a year. They gave us 30 days to vacate if we do not sign. Is there anything we can do?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I don't understand them having, "grounds because the lease we signed said the terms were beginning this month to run for a year."

They signed a lease fair and square.  Game over.  They can't try and renogotiate because they feel like they should have asked for more money.  You have a lease and as long as you pay $1000/month and follow any other requirements in the contract, they can't evict you.  They can try and raise the rent a year from now, but not now. Tell them to take their new lease and go for a hike.

That said, relations between you and your landlord are going to be a bit prickly for the next year if you stay.  I would find another landlord who knows what they are doing and move out.  This landlord doesn't have a clue and chances are you will have trouble getting your deposit back etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.