What to do if my landlord replaced the broken A/C wall unit with a faulty unit?

My landlord has replaced one faulty wall A/C unit with another one. My A/C was fine after a few repairs 4 years ago. The faulty replacement blows cool air for 15 minutes at a distance of 5ft, decreasing distance approx every 3 minutes, eventually stops blowing but still making noise, then shuts off, turning back on every 3 minutes blowing nothing. This last for 1 hour then starts all over again. I am student teaching in the Fall and cannot afford to break my lease. Also, being a wall unit they left openings and there are gaps from which I can see outside. the temps are heading back up

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord's repair on the air conditioning unit in your rental is defective you need to call and write him or her about the problem and the need to make further repairs as soon as possible and the problems you have with it.

Give the landlord a set date to get the repairs made. If repairs are not made by the stated deadline, advise the landlord that you will make the repairs yourself and debit the costs from the next month's rental payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.