Job Eliminated

I was given a notice that since my job is being eliminated I need to find something within the company or June 15th will be my last day. Company I work for never did any performance appraisal or any sort of paperwork. I have met most of my assigned goals so you can call me a good employee. I was surprised to know that they didn’t even offer any monetary package. Do I have any right here or what are my options?

Asked on May 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Do you have a union agreement or employment contract that affords you some rights/options in this situation? Does your termination in some way constitute a form of legally actionable discrimination (although you did not indicate that to be the case)? Otherwise, you are an "at will" worker, which means that your company can set the conditions of your employment much as it sees fit. This includes whether or not to provide any type of severance package, which is otherwise not legally mandated to be provided. Additionally, under TX law, an employee is not entitled to be paid for accrued but unused vacation upon termination, unless the employee has a written agreement with the employee to do so or employer has a specific written policy that it requires vacation be so paid.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.