Is there any other way other then emancipation that a 17 year old girl can leave home with her child?

I am 17 with a 1 1/2 month old son living in a stressful home with her mother younger brother and stepfather who has sexually abused me and has been reported to police but was never prosecuted.

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation as it was but congratulations on the birth of your son.  Now, this is a stressful time for you anyway even if the other factors did not exist. 

Emancipation is only one of several alternatives available to you if you feel you cannot live with your parents. You may want to consider other options such as:

  • family counseling or mediation service between you and your parents;
  • living with another responsible adult (aunt, uncle, grandparent, or family friend);
  • seeking assistance from public and private agencies;
  • an informal agreement with your parents allowing you to live outside your home.

Do you have a relative that you can trust?  Then I would seek him or her out and ask for help.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.