Is there any law against my child being around my girlfriend wial going threw divorce as long as its ok with the other parent?

Going threw divorce met someone and spouse
says its illegal for my kid to come in my house
because I have my gf living with me wial going
threw a civil divorce

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

It is not generally illegal. It is possible to get a court order in the context of or during a divorce case barring your child from being around your girlfriend, if there was some evidence or showing that she is a threat or bad influence (e.g. a drug user; psychological/emotional issues; history of abusing children; etc.), but until and unless your spouse applies for such an order and gets it, your child may be near your girlfriend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.