Is it worth taking someone to court over $1000?

My roommate owes me $300 for previous rent money, on top to $700 for the next two up coming months. She left without discussing it with me. So my question is should I take her to court, will it be worth it? Or will the courts fees exceed what she owes me?”

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court for the amount owed.  It would be premature to file the lawsuit until the two months elapse and your roommate has not paid the $700 because at this point the $700 is not yet due.  Only the $300 is due.  The court filing fees are recoverable in your lawsuit.  The court filing fees vary from state-to-state, but are usually nominal in Small Claims Court.  In addition to the court filing fee, you will also need to pay for a process server to serve your roommate with the summons and complaint.  The complaint is the lawsuit attached to the summons.  You can find process servers under attorney services in the Yellow Pages or online.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.