Is it legal foe an immigrant with H1B visa to run an ecommerce website?

I would like to run an eCommerce website to sell Indian clothes. Do I have to register the company before starting a website? If there are no employees, an American doesn’t have to register a company to obtain EIN. He/She can use her SSN. Do the same laws apply to me?

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are not authorized to be self employed while in H-1B status and running your own business, whether it is online or offline is being self employed.  So the answer is no, you cannot do this legally while in H-1B status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.