What to do o if my ex-wife will not allow me to take my son flying with me in general aviation private airplane.

Her attorney claims that it is inherently dangerous.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you and your wife both share making decisions with regard to your son's activities or how ever this is going to be termed, and you and she disagree on an issue , then you may have to take the matter up with the court and ask them to decide.  I have to say that the idea of taking him on the private plane is not what I would consider to be my idea of a good time, but whether or not it is "inherently dangerous" is not for me or the lawyer to decide.  And unless it can be shown that you are placing him in a dangerous situation the attorney's statement can not make it so. So if you choose to fight it then you need to get some statistics on your side about commercial plane crashes versus private plane crashes or how ever you plan on proving your case.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.