What to do if I was injured when attacked by a psychiatric patient in a facility?

I am an independent contract RN who was injured while performing my job in a resident care facility. I was attacked by a psychiatric patient who lives at the facility. Is the facility liable for my medical bills incurred as a result of this attack?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Personal Injury, Oregon


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are an employee any claim would be limited to woker's compensation.  As an independent contractor, you can sue for negligence---and may have a claim under strict liability.  However, if the facility is run/owned by the government you may have to make a claim with the state instead of filing a lawsuit and generally you have to file a claim within 6 months or you lose your right to sue.  I would consult a local personal injury attorney about what happened.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.