Can I sue for double my deposit?

I moved out of my apartment a month ago and left my forwarding address. However, my landlord never sent me an itemized list. Can I sue hime because of this?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of many states such as California, when a tenant vacates a rental and the tenant's security deposit is not returned in full and the landlord fails to attach receipts and other documentation showing what the portion of the security deposit that was not returned was used for, the tenant has a statutory basis to bring an action against the landlord because of this.

If you want to bring a small claim action against your former landlord, you are entitled to under the law. Whether or not you prevail is an unknown at this point in time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.