If I live with my daughter’s father and we have been together for over 18 years,am I able

to receive anything if we split?

My daughter is 17 years old. They have no common law marriage in our state.

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

When you ask about receiving "anything" do you mean support for yourself and your daughter?  No for you and for your daughter only until 18 in your state.  If you own any real property together you need to read the deed and see how the ownership is listed.  Likely you would have been listed as Tenants in Common, becuase you were not married.  That is not to say that you could be listed another way that gives each of you "rights of survivorship" should one of you pass before the other.  That would not, though, do much for you in a split.  You would each just own half of the property.  AS for personal belongings you own yours and he owns his.  Anything you bought together you would have to agree upon or fight over in court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.