In colorado what type of protection does a woman have during her pregnancy?

My daughter is having complications with her pregnancy and called off twice. Her manager txt very nasty messages stating she has to call around to get coverage for her shift and cannot fax the doctors form instead walk the form in? unfortunately has only been working there for a little over a month and does not know if her pregnancy is protected by law?

Asked on July 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

She has the same rights to be out for pregnancy as any employee has to be out for any medical condition (which is what pregnancy is legally considered for this purpose): she could call out for pregnancy issues when someone could call out for other medical reasons, and needs to provide equivalent documentation or evidence. If she is treated as well as other employees when they try to call out for medical or health reasons, then she is getting the treatment to which she is legally entitled. But if she is being treated worse than other employees for when try to call out for medical or health reasons, that is very likely illegal discrimination and she should contact the federal EEOC about filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.