If you are in a car accident and your car is not insured how much money can they seek from you?

Asked on October 8, 2015 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First, you only have to pay if you were at fault--for example, driving negligently or carelessly--in causing the accident. If you were not at fault, you are not responsible to pay anything to anyone else, and if you refuse to pay, they would have to sue you and prove in court that you were at fault to win any compensation.
If you were at fault, you can be held liable, or responsible, to pay all of the other party's costs or losses. For example , if their car was damaged and most of the cost was paid by insurance, they could seek  the deductible from you. The could give you the chance to pay it in installments or over time, but don't have to--they could insist on it all at once and, if not paid, sue you for the money.
Also, their insurer could sue you the insuer is allowed to sue any at-fault driver to recover any amounts it has to pay out. So say they have a $1,000 deductible, $8,000 of damage was done, and the insurer paid $7,000. The car's owner could sue you for the $1,000 deductible while the insurer sues to get back the $7,000 it paid out. 
You could also be sued for miscelleous costs related to the accidet, such as if you were at fault and the other driver had to pay to rent a car or pay to have his car towed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.