If there was accidental water damage to my rental premises (due to my neighbor’s washing machine) is my landlord supposed to make the repairs?

If there was accidental water damage to my rental premises (due to my neighbor’s washing machine that overflowed and leaked under the wall onto my carpet), is my landlord supposed to fix the damage or am I supposed to get the neighbor whose washing machine caused the damage to do the repairs? Does the “damage to premises” clause in my lease apply here? Am I able to claim pain and suffering compensation for the inconvenience of having them perform the repair?

Asked on July 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The landlord is responsible for repairing the water damage to your rental from the neighbor's washing machine.  I don't know what the specific language is in the damage to premises clause in your lease, but you would not be liable for the water damage caused by the neighbor's washing machine.  No, you would not be able to receive compensation for pain and suffering for the inconvenience because compensation for pain and suffering is applicable in a personal injury case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.