If someone lives within your home and pays no rent or other fee, how can you legally get them out?

If my daugther and her alcoholic husband live our house with us, how do we evict our son-in-law?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If these individuals are not leaseholders, you need to define this relationship and check with your sheriff's office to see if they can simply be "kicked out" without the eviction process, which can be time consuming and expensive.  If the Sheriff's office determines that all you need is probably a civil escort (officer arrives at your home to help this individual pack what he can and then escort him from the home), you want to make sure you have someone there with you to move this process along.  If your intent is to merely kick out your son-in-law, have you spoken to your daughter about this matter? If she is married to him and wishes to be separated from him, she and you may wish to consult an attorney about temporary restraining orders and possible divorce proceedings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.