If my name in divorce papers my husband sent me shows my name with the middle name i used before i was married,but everything else is right,do we have to do all of the paperwork over?

My soon to be ex husbandhopefully and
i agreed to simple easy divorce.He is
the one who did the paperwork so that i
could just pretty much sign and send
back to him to complete.Heres where my
question arise.My name isnt exactly
correct in the paperwork.when we
married i dropped my middle name and
used my maidenlast nameas my
middle.so before i was married i was
shauna luan lehman…when we married my
name became shauna lehman smithwhich
is also on my license..but in the
paperwork he put shauna luan smith.It
is correct in saying i do want to go
back to my original nameshauna luan
lehman.So do we really have to correct
this or will it be ok as long as the
name i want to use again is correct on
the documents?thank you for your time

Asked on May 14, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As long as you can be clearly identified by the name on the documents, it is not necessary to correct it; however, if you are still concerned about it, you can file an amendment correcting the name on the documents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.