If my ex logs into my bank account and transfers money to herself, how doI prove it was her andI didn’t authorize the transaction?

Asked on October 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your ex logged into your bank account, the problem initially here is not that she logged into your bank account but that you gave her the account log in and password when you should not have. If you did give this information to her, you may not qualify by your bank to have that money placed back into your account if your bank has this type of fraud account protection. The reason is the bank will think you authorized her to access your account. Now if you did not authorize her to access your account and you did not give her your account information, you will probably have no problem showing you did not access the account. The way you do this is get the exact time and day the amount was transferred, put the dispute in showing where you were at the time and day and that since she is your ex, there is no reason you would have done this. If you have not transferred before, show this, as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.