If I don’t have money, how canI get a divorce and get whatI feelI am owed?

I have been married to a man for 21 years. He that has cheated on me at least 7 times within the past 5 months. Our family was evicted from our home. My husband moved in with his girlfriend and I was forced to move to out of state to live with a friend. I have been unemployed for 3 years and was also left with no transportation. Additionally, I have medical issues and he refuses to give me money; he makes about $95,000 a year. What am I entitled to and how can I file for it? I have absolutely no money.

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Family Law, New Jersey


Michael D. Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In a divorce, your husband can be ordered to pay your legal fees, if there really is the imbalance you state.  If you have kids, you should definitely be getting support.  If you are out of state, you can divorce where you are, or where he is.  Better to do it where he is, so the money can be seized.  The cheating is not relevant.  It is about the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.