If I do not want any parental right of a possible child of mine, how do I go about clearing my name of any possible legal actions and any ties?

The mother does not want to terminate the pregnancy.

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If it is your child, you cannot renounce your obligations or blood tie to the child--that is, even if you have no contact with the child, have no interest in it, etc., you can be obligated to pay child support, at least until the child is 18. You also have no right to make the mother terminate the pregnancy.

What you an do is that if you think the child is not yours, after it is born, you can get a court order for a genetic test to prove it is not your child. If it is not, you will have no legal obligations whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.