If a person got 3 years in prision and was told he had to serve 85% of that, is it possiable to do only half?

And does he need a laywer for the parole hearing? Finally, when and how does he apply for parole?

Asked on February 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the complicated nature of your quesiton, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to review the sentence that you have written about and to give a legal option as to actual time served in the end. Ordinarily, one gets credit for good time served 1 day off the sentence for each day served in prison. I suggest you get a lawyer for the parole hearing. The prison department ultimately makes a recommendation for parole.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.