If a married couple own a rental property, can one spouse execute a lease of the rental property to a third party without the other spouse’s approval?

My wife and I own a house that we purchased for a friend to reside. The original agreement was the friend would pay the mortgage and taxes and insurance on the house. After a year or so, I wrote up a formal lease that reflected the original oral agreement between the friend and my wife. (My wife was not aware that a formal lease was written.) My wife and the friend are now at odds with each other and my wife is demanding a rent increase to our friend. Can she do it and was the written lease legal?

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can review the following:












marriage, each spouse has the sole management, control, and

disposition of the community property that the spouse would have

owned if single, including:





personal earnings;





revenue from separate property;





recoveries for personal injuries; and





the increase and mutations of, and the revenue

from, all property subject to the spouse



s sole management,

control, and disposition.





If community property subject to the sole management,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.