What can I do if did work for a contractor and when I asked to be paid he fired me?

I have still not ben paid.

Asked on July 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't stop him from firing you, unless you had a written contract and the way you were fired violates the plain terms of the contract. Otherwise, you may be fired at will.

However, he must pay you for all work done by you up until when he fired you; if he doesn't, you may sue him for the money he owes you. If the amount in question is less than the maximum for your small claims court, a good option is to sue in small claims, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") in order to reduce costs. You can get information and forms from the small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.