If I went to the US on J-1 visa and am back in my home country to satisfy home residency requirements but I get a job in the US, can I apply for a work visa before my 2 year period ends?

So that I have a visa just when the 2-years end?

Asked on October 4, 2015 under Immigration Law


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what type of visa your employer would be applying for on your behalf.  Some will not be granted if you have not yet satisfied your 2 year home residency requirement.  You have to discuss the specifics with the employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.