I was wondering how I could drop charges on my ex-boyfriend for domestic assault and drop a no contact order without getting into trouble myself?

My ex-boyfriend beat me up and broke my nose. He is being charged with felony domestic assault, 2nd degree assault and will be charged with 3rd degree after my medical records get back. He has custody of his 4 kids and I don’t want him to lose them and would like to see to see the kids because I have raised them for the past year. However, I don’t want to get into trouble myself. What I should do?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can requesth that the district attorney's office not prosecute your ex-boyfriend for assaulting you, however, given the damages that you describe that you sustained, I doubt that the prosecution will dismiss the charges. The prosecution has the obligation to protect the people of your state against crime and conduct of your ex-boyfriend seems pretty egregious.

As to getting the no contact order dropped, you can do so most likely. I suggest that you first consult with a criminal defense lawyer before you make any final decision. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.