What are my rights if I was let go because I took a picture of my desk at work?

As I took the picture, the HR girl was right there. She didn’t say anything to me that this was wrong. I feel she wanted me gone. Do I have any rights? This was a very large company. I was there on a temporary assignment. I’ve never been let go from a job. I worked for a grocery chain for over 30 years and was a store manager at clothing chain for the last 5 until they unexpectedly closed my store.

Asked on October 7, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that most employment relationships are what is known as "at will". This means that an employer can set the terms as conditions of the owrkplace much as it sees fit. Therefore, they may hire/fire much as they choose. This means that an empoluyee can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.
The above is true unless your treatment violates the terms of an employment contract, union/collective bargaining agreement or company policy. Also, it must not constitute legally actionable discrimination or retaliation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.