What to do if I was in a car accident for which I at fault and while no one was seriously hurt the damages exceeded my insurance coverage?

I now will owe about $22,000, and that is more money than I have usually made in a year. I did just get a new job 3 months ago, but I am worried about not being able to afford to live and make all the payments I need to make. Is there anything I can do to try and negotiate that number down or am I just stuck making minimal payments for years now? Should I see a lawyer or a bank for a loan?

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which eliminates certain types of debt including the amount you owe from the auto accident.
If you don't file bankruptcy, a future court judgment from a lawsuit filed against you in this case will be enforced with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.