What are my rights if I was in a band for many years but recently left the group and after they had an interview with an online publication and used a group photo with my image present?

By law am I allowed to request the removal of said image?

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Business Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can request that your photo be removed.
If it is not removed, you can sue the band and the online publication for invasion of privacy.  Invasion of privacy is the appropriation of one's name or likeness for commercial purposes without consent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.