Do I have any legal recourse if I was fired because I accidently put the wrong date on my application?

I listed working for a company for 1 year longer than I did. I didn’t realize my mistake until 5 weeks after I started with the company and HR brought it up. I clarified my time with the company, a retail sales job irrelevant to the current job, but they fired me for “lying on a legal document”. Is there anything I can do about this?

Asked on November 18, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There most likely is nothing you can do about this. First, unless you had an employment contract, you were an "employee at will," and an employee at will may be fired at any time, for any reason, without notice. Second, providing false information on an employment application would generally be considered good grounds to fire someone "for cause" even if they had an employment contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.