What to do if I was employed as a cook in a restaurant and after a verbal argument with my manager he struck me?

I was let go and he still has a job. I am a disabled 51 year old woman with children at home and had to go to work to help with the expenses as they are at college level or in high school. How do I sue my manager and how do I sue the company I work for?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the work situation where you were assaulted, battered and then terminated by your employer I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of labor and personal injury law and consult with a representative with your local department of labor to see what your legal options are with respect to the employee who struck you and your employer who terminated you from your position.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.