What to do if I was awarded a scholarship but was only paid half of it?

I fulfilled the requirements of the scholarship but was not given paperwork or a reason why the balance was not paid. Can I sue the college for breach of contract for not fulfilling this scholarship obligation?

Asked on October 10, 2013 under Business Law, New York


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to successfully sue the college for breach of contract, depending on what the documents stating the requirements of the scholarship say.  You may have met the academic requirements but failed to submit a form you needed to submit.  You need to have an attorney review your documents to determine whether you have a good breach of contract claim.  Make an appointment with an attorney in your area to get your documents reviewed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.