If I was a union worker and member for 25+ years and after being suspended and then terminated, why is my 401k money not readily available to me?

Asked on September 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Mexico


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It absolutely should be available.  You should have the same distribution options for your 401K if you are terminated or leave voluntarily.  I think that you need to get some help here to find out what is going on with the money that is invested. Contact the state attorney general's office and a personal attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.