What to do about a mistaken tax bill and government harrassment?

I used to own restaurant (rented space on a shopping strip). I lost everything trying to keep it running. I closed it 9 months ago. To break my contract, I agree to give the landlord all the improvements I made to the property like the marble floors, furniture, kitchen stuff (stoves, etc.) plus a large sum. I thought it was over. However, I just got a tax bill from the government for the property improvements. I told them I can’t pay. I have nothing. I don’t own that stuff anymore either. It belongs to the ex-landlord. And I opened the restaurant under a corporation. The tax office told me to pay or they will put a lien on my spouse’s house. I live there but my name is not on it. Can they do that? Only my name on the corporation.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You seemingly were sent a property tax assessment from your local county tax assessor's office with respect to hard assets that you had for your business which is no longer in existence. You need to file a "contest" of this property tax assessement asseting that the business is no longer in place and the improvement that you are being taxed upon are now owned by the former landlord. As such, he or she should be taxed for those items.

You need to file this "contest" with your county tax assessor. You might consider consulting with a tax attorney to assist you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.