What should I do if I think my wife may be leaving me and she has taken our son out of state to visit relatives?

She did not take the return flight home to and now says it will be another week.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You don't seem like you know for sure that she is or is not coming back... but once you come to the conclusion that she is not, you may want to consider filing for divorce while venue is still proper here.  In that suit, you can also ask for temporary orders which help you insure access to your son.  Without formal orders in place, it will be very hard for you to enforce visitation rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.