How to combine 2 adjoining properties for tax purposes?

I own a 2 acre piece of property with a home on it. I have a mortgage on this property. My mother passed away and left me her older house on 20 acres adjoining my property with no mortgage on the property. I am getting hammered with taxes because it’s considered a second home. Is there a way to combine the 2 adjoining properties if no one is living in the older home. And how does a morgage on my property effect the situation if they can be combined?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The way to combine to separate parcels into one is to make an application with the zoning department in the community where you reside. However, from a practical point of view to do so will reduce the value of the two parcels in that one is worth less than two parcels.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about the matter in that the tax benefits for rezoning the two parcels into one would most likely be well less than the loss in value of the parcels. The mortgage on the property could be at risk.

I suggest simply renting out the home on the other parcel to generate income to pay the property taxes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.